Brandon United 1-7 Heaton Stannington ( Kev Carling )

 Brandon United 1-7 Heaton Stannington 

Saturday 30 April 2016



In a quite extraordinary match, the Stan ran out 7-1 winners against former Northern League Champions Brandon United on a lovely sunny day in Durham. The game started quietly with no indication of the goal feast to come. Brandon had the first real Chance when a mistake by the Stan’s Scott almost let Brandon in. After 9 minutes the Stan had their first chance when Rowntree got off a good shot but it went just the wrong side of the upright. After 10 minutes, a mistake from Brandon keeper Wilson let Adam Rowntree in and he made no mistake to put the Stan 1-0 up. This was his 5th goal in 3 matches. Five minutes later and the Stan were nearly 2 up when good interlinking play between the dangerous Jones and Rowntree almost doubled the score. However after 17 minutes, the Stan did double the lead when Peter Scott scored with an unstoppable header from a Stan corner. It was all Stan now and when Lewis Burns was put through he made no mistake and calmly slotted the ball past Wilson for number 3. The travelling Stan Army had barely caught their breath when Ben Telford buried number 4 after great work by Bailey and Jones in the 24th minute. Ben Telford got his second goal in the 30th minute after a terrific cross from Burns. So in an amazing 20 minute period the Stan had scored 5 goals and the game was effectively over. There was however good work from Ellis for Brandon but he made a bit of a mess of it and spurned his chance. Again after 38 minutes Ellis, by far Brandon’s best player, had a shot that just cleared the Stan cross bar. There was no further action and the Stan Army were delighted going in at half time 5-0 up.  

Brandon had obviously had a good telling off and started the 2nd half at a good tempo and determined to salvage some pride. After 50 minutes, Gash blazed a shot over. It was now all Brandon but Burns blocked well. On the hour Brandon got their reward when poor defending by the Stan let the impressive Ellis in to pull a goal back for the home side. Brandon were straight back on the attack from the kick off and captain Wren forced a magnificent save from Matt Smith. It took until the 69th minute before the Stan registered their first attack of the second half when the impressive Rowntree shot just wide. Matt Smith was having a fine game and was called into action again after 72 minutes. At this stage of the game, if you did not know the score, you would not know who the better team was and Matt Smith the Stan keeper was certainly the busier of the two keepers. The Stan were not content just to defend though and Jones and Yates combined well in the 77th minute. As Brandon had put so much effort in, it was not a surprise to see the Stan break away and for substitute Gary Yates to put number 6 on the board for the Stan after 82 minutes. Brandon keeper Wilson’s day was complete when he sliced a back pass and Gary Yates made no mistake and did the Stan’s goal difference the world of good making it number 7 for the Stan. The referee mercilessly did not play any injury time and Brandon were put out of their misery. Despite the 7-1 score it was for long periods an even game and lots of credit should be given to Brandon for not giving up.


Stan Team: Smith; McCabe; Dixon; Wear; Scott; Imray; Telford; Bailey; Jones; Rowntree (Yates); Burns (Fulcher). Unused sub: Ward. Yellow card: McCabe

Kev Carling

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s