Mistakes costly for Terriers in crucial game with Penrith (Andrew McDonnell)

Mistakes costly for Terriers in crucial game with Penrith 

By Andrew McDonnell


Photo by Chris Chambers

An afternoon that started so brightly, ended in despair as Bedlington Terriers slumped to a 3-2 defeat at home to Penrith.

Jonathan Wright put the hosts ahead after just two minutes, but kamikaze defending allowed Kevin Connelly and Jonathan Murray to put the visitors ahead at the break. 

Marcus Brown’s equaliser gave hope, but Paul King’s dismissal just seven minutes later, which allowed Connelly to convert the resulting free-kick, compounded Bedlington’s afternoon.

Andy Ferrell’s men knew they had to take something from the game, and after the Cumbrians could only name the bare minimum XI, the Terriers looked to take full advantage from the off.

And they did just that, a quick throw in from John Pendlebury found the feet of Wright, who, after turning his man, produced a carbon-copy goal to the one he scored against Ashington, curling past the keeper.

Chances were being created, but not taken, in particular the one three minutes later when an unmarked Michael Baxter headed straight at the keeper from close range.

Warning signs of a fight back were apparent when Kevin Connelly’s 35-yard effort whistled past the crossbar.

The Terriers were working the ball well, but again, they failed to take their chances, Ryan Drane blazed over inside the six-yard box and Baxter’s effort troubled the keeper.

Wright had two more chances either side of debutant Liam Mooney making a fine save, getting down quickly to Adam Main’s shot, and the follow up from Grant Davidson failed to hit the target.

Just as the Terriers started to, once again, build up momentum and look for a second in the game, the visitors levelled with a spectacular effort.

Connelly was left to his own devices after picking up the ball, and after noticing the keeper off his line, he bent his shot up and over and into the top corner.

Things went from bad to worse after Mooney produced another fine save, the resulting corner, which should have been claimed, was bundled in by Murray, who made the most of a free run at the ball.

After the break, the hosts should have levelled within minutes, Drane was put through on goal, but Aaron Taylor made himself big and produced a fantastic save.

Main and Murray both rued their missed chances within quick succession for the Cumbrians after some great interplay, and that was before Liam Hudson was brought down in the area.

The forward skipped past two players, and after it appeared that the defender’s trailing leg caught Hudson, the referee waved play on to the home supporters’ frustration.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s