Match Report: Easington Colliery 1-1 Heaton Stannington (Ken Rodger)

Easington Colliery 1-1 Heaton Stannington 

Saturday 19 December 2015 



With only one league goal scored since October, the Stan were anticipating a strong game against an Easington side who had not been beaten in their last seven matches. The Stan made three changes to Wednesday’s team. 

As expected Easington attacked from the start gaining a corner in the first minute which found Shaun Smith whose strong shot was well saved by his namesake Matt Smith in the visitor’s goal. With the game approaching the fifteen minute mark, and having being under some pressure for most of that time, Heaton opened the scoring when the Easington keeper, Kyle Donaldson, fumbled a cross from Ali Stoddart and Ben Telford was on hand to slot the ball home. Being a goal down didn’t appear to deter the home side as they continued to press forward for an equaliser and goalkeeper Smith was the ‘Stan’s’ saviour when he pulled off saves from Bryan Norton, David Paul and Luke Page in a frantic ten minute spell. His best save however came ten minutes before the interval. After he had tipped a dangerous cross come shot from Aiden Heywood over the crossbar, the resultant corner kick fell to the ever dangerous David Paul who blasted a fierce shot which would have surely found the net but for Smith’s brilliant save. In a rare attack three minutes before the break, Lee Johnson was fouled out on the right. Taking the free kick himself he found the head of Kye Waters whose effort was deflected for a corner but the score remained 1-0 to the Stan at half time.


Clever work straight from the re-start saw the home side’s David Paul create space for himself but he fired his shot well over the crossbar. A good Stan move down the right was halted when Aiden Goodey blocked Telford’s run which cost him a booking for his efforts. Heaton were guilty of giving the ball away far too easily and were made to pay when Mark Robinson intercepted a poorly placed pass and raced into the penalty area only to be fouled by Peter Scott. David Paul stepped up to take the spot kick and placed the ball passed Smith to gain his side a deserved equaliser. Heaton’s woes continued soon after when they were reduced to ten men when Kye Waters was dismissed for a foul on Luke Page. With the home side now well on top, Heaton’s defenders needed to work hard to stay in the game and they accomplished their task and secured a 1-1 draw thanks to fine marshalling and direction from Mark Davison and skipper Joe Wear.


Stan Team: Smith; Wear; Stoddart; Ray (Scott, P); Davison; Waters; Imray; Johnson, L; Yates (Grieveson);  Hayton; Telford. Subs unused: Burns; Ward.

Ken Rodger



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s