Match Report: Walton bags a brace as Terriers concede five (Andrew Mcdonnell)

Walton bags brace as Terriers concede five

By Andrew McDonnell



Marc Walton bagged a brace for Bedlington Terriers, but in vein as Guisborough Town scored five goals for the second-time in three days at the King George V Ground. 

Walton pulled the visitors back level after Curtis Round scored a superb goal, and Danny Earl and Steven Snaith added a goal each before half-time.

Earl got his second of the game on 67 minutes and substitute Connor Smith added a fifth late on before Walton tucked away a penalty in injury time.

Bedlington’s squad was rejuvenated with three new signings, two of which started the game, but the home side didn’t let their opponents settle too quickly.

Round was allowed a free-run towards goal and when nobody decided to close the forward down quickly, he fired his shot straight into the top-corner, leaving the keeper with no chance.

Ryan Drane could have drawn the Terriers level two minutes later, Walton picked out the youngster, but his effort went inches wide of the post.

Andy Ferrell’s men were unlucky to not have been awarded a penalty after the ball appeared to strike a Town player on the arm in the area, but big appeals were waved away.

Peter Denton managed to keep the scoreline the same on 16 minutes with a sublime finger-tip save to parry Jordan Towers’ shot onto the crossbar.

Bedlington broke to the other end and pulled the game back level, Drane found Walton on the edge of the area, the forward shifted the ball right and fired into the bottom corner.

The Terriers started to find their feet, however, they were only level for a matter of 10 minutes, when Earl rounded off a good all-round attack.

Round easily got past his man and once he entered the penalty area he found Earl in the centre of the box, who then made no mistake with the finish.

Drane again had a chance of pulling the visitors in the game, but Earl then managed to go round the keeper with ease, but sent it wide before he redeemed himself and set up Town’s third goal.

On the stroke of half-time the striker fired at goal, but Denton parried straight in front of him and Snaith picked up the ball and buried it into the back of the net.

The Terriers were the first to come close in the second-half, Walton’s strike was parried into the danger area, but Drane couldn’t react quickly enough as the defender cleared his lines.

With their first chance of the half, Guisborough found their fourth of the game, all but ensuring the three points when Earl got his second of the game.

Town caught their opponents once again pressing for a goal, Round pulled back across the box and Earl fought off his own man to fire past Denton.

Smith almost made it five under a minute later before Earl dispossessed Marc Dummett inside his own half, but the forward scuffed his shot and the keeper saved easily.

Bedlington produced a moment of magic eight minutes from time when Ferrell received the ball back from Walton outside the home side’s box.

The midfielder, who showed his class when he came on, tried to place his shot across the keeper, but the effort went inches wide.

Things got even worse for the visitors when Guisborough opened them up again with another break, with Smith piling on more disappointment with a neat finish.

The substitute hit his shot first time, looping the ball up and over the keeper and defender on the line and into the bottom corner moments after Dummett produced a goal-saving challenge.

Walton converted a penalty a minute into injury time after new-signing Tony Stephenson drew a foul in the penalty area, but it was too little too late for the visitors.

Bedlington now have two games in the next week, both at Welfare Park, as Bishop Auckland are the visitors on Wednesday evening and Washington on Saturday afternoon.

Guisborough: Liversedge, Helm, McWilliams, Carling, May, McPhillips (Blake 87), Liddle (Smith 80), Towers, Earl, Snaith, Round

Subs Not Used: Snook, Dixon, Galloway

Terriers: Denton, Pendlebury, Dummett, Anjos, Capewell, Errington, M.Stephenson (Ferrell 62), King, Walton, Benjamin, Drane (T.Stephenson 62)

Subs Not Used: Nairn, McFadden, Stoneman

Referee: David Fitzpatrick

Rating: 5 out of 10

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s