Terriers sink to bottom of the table after defeat (Andrew McDonnell)

Terriers sink to bottom of the table after defeat

By Andrew McDonnell


photo Yvonne Wood

Terriers captain John Pendlebury shows dangerman John Campbell away from goal

Captain John Pendlebury and Keelan Nellis both saw red in the final 10 minutes as Bedlington Terriers’ misery continued with a 3-1 defeat to Newton Aycliffe at Welfare Park.

Keelan Nellis’ own-goal gave the visitors the lead before John Campbell’s strike, from outside the box, doubled their advantage just before half-time.

Marc Walton pulled a goal back in injury-time of the first-half, but Matty Moffat sealed the victory 12 minutes from time, tapping-in Campbell’s pass across the box. 

Bedlington’s fightback last week against Penrith will have lifted morale going into the game and they picked up where they left off with early pressure on their opponents.

Adam Harvey, who scored the equaliser last weekend, cut back inside after a promising run, but James Winter got down well and saved the swerving shot.

Bedlington restricted their opponents to their first attempt after 15 minutes, which was a wayward shot by Stuart Banks after Ashley Coffey picked him out with a pin-point ball over the top.

The game itself was evenly poised and it showed with neither side really managing to conjure up a decisive break to try and get ahead in the game.

Keelan Nellis’ long-range strike was well seen by the keeper, before Aycliffe took the lead in the game after 27 minutes, through an own-goal.

Dennis Knight’s whipped cross was parried by Peter Denton, but onto the on-coming defender, Nellis, who could only watch it bounce off him and into the net.

Bedlington could have been punished straight after the restart, they were almost caught when Knight’s drilled shot was well saved by Denton’s legs and eventually cleared.

The home side found their feet once again in the game, and Walton came inches away from drawing level, but his flick on was headed off the line by Alex Kitchen.

Remarkably, a corner was not given, and just before the game entered additional time on the end of the first-half, the visitors doubled their lead.

A short corner was taken and Campbell unleashed a bullet, which sailed into the back of the net after being allowed time to take a touch and get a shot away.

Andy Ferrell’s men didn’t settle for that, the player-manager led the break from the restart and after slotting the ball into Walton, the striker fond the bottom corner.

After a brilliant display throughout the first-half, Bedlington found themselves second-best for quite some time, with the Newts piling on the pressure at one end.

Campbell and Coffey both squandered chances in the first 10 minutes of the second-half, with the former seeing his 25-yard free-kick just sail over the crossbar after the hour mark.

It was Aycliffe who really should have had the next goal in the game on 74 minutes, Moffat’s shot deflected off a defender and away to the back post.

Coffey followed up at the back post, unmarked, and Denton was like lightning off his line, saving the midfielders effort, which kept the deficit at one.

The pressure eventually took its toll four minutes later, Marc Dummett was dispossessed just outside of his own area as he looked to set the Terriers on the front foot.

Campbell drove at goal, but instead of striking, he found his strike-partner in space, and Moffat had a clear tap-in at the back post to inevitably kill the game off.

Proceedings went from bad to worse for the home side as Nellis found himself going for an early shower after receiving a red card prior to the restart.

Ferrell’s men could have made it 3-2 five minutes from time when Jonathyn Quinn darted inside past challenges, but his shot was scuffed and trickled to Winter in goal.

The Terriers were down to nine-men in the second-minute of additional time, another off-the-ball incident which left captain Pendlebury irate with the decision made.

Bedlington now find themselves rock-bottom of the division, with a trip to Marske United and a trip to Jarrow Roofing next week, three points in one of the games is a must.

Terriers: Denton, Nellis, Dummett, Anjos (McFadden 56), Stoneman, Pendlebury, Harvey, Ferrell (Drane 79), Walton, Quinn, Stephenson (Benjamin 67)

Subs Not Used: Capewell, Nairn

Newton Aycliffe: Winter, Brown, Green, Kitchen, Mutton, Pattinson, Garthwaite, Coffey, Campbell (Laidley 84), Knight (Moffat 68), Banks (Boagey 68)

9 Shots 10
7 On Target 7
7 Off Target 3
0 Shots Blocked 0
11 Fouls Conceded 7
2 Corners 6
2 Offsides 10
13 Free-Kicks 13
78% Shooting Accuracy 70%

Subs Not Used: Mooney, Gibbon

Referee: John Matthews

Rating: 3 out of 10


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s