Match Reports: Bedlington Terriers – Promising Signs in Eighth Defeat for Terriers (Andrew McDonnell)

Promising Signs in Eighth Defeat for Terriers

By Andrew McDonnell


Bedlington Terriers suffered their eighth league defeat of the season in 11 games after a goal in either half was enough for Consett at Belle Vue Park.

Michael Mackay put the hosts ahead inside the first three minutes with a neat lob over the keeper, and they continued to look dangerous in attack.

A resilient display from the visitors wasn’t enough as the deficit was doubled seven minutes into the second-half when Calvin Smith fired home. 

If the defeat wasn’t bad enough, captain Stephen Little announced after the game that he would be leaving the club and moving on.

For the second match in a row, a slow start from Andy Ferrell’s men was punished inside the opening encounters, with the Steelman taking full advantage.

Mackay was quickest to react to a long ball from the back, and after seeing the keeper commit to coming out, he found the back-of-the-net with a lob.

Intricate play almost saw the hosts go two-up inside four minutes, but Frazer Nairn stopped Ryan King well, parrying the effort away from danger.

Bedlington’s first chance fell in the ninth minute when Marc Walton headed down for his namesake, but Sam Walton could only fire wide from distance.

Mackay could have bagged another, but two chances in quick succession was saved well, with Nairn keeping the Terriers in the game after Consett looked threatening with every attack.

The Terriers then started to work their way back into the game, with tempo starting to pick up, and the final 20 minutes of the first-half belonged to the visitors.

Celso Anjos, who was making his full debut in the game, and S.Walton linked up well, but the latter couldn’t manage to direct his shot towards goal with any force.

That was after Nairn kept Ryan King at bay, M.Walton may well have found the equaliser five minutes before the break after Andrew McBride burst down the wing.

The striker could only find the roof of the net with a thumping effort from outside the box, which had the former Blyth Spartans shot-stopper Peter Jeffries worried.

Promising moments would have shown Ferrell that his side were more than capable of finding a way back into the game and a positive start to the second-half showed that.

M.Walton rattled the crossbar from 25-yards out, but he was given offside, that was before the Steelman were denied once again by some more brilliant goalkeeping.

Matty Slocombe found the head of substitute Luke Sullivan, who headed into the floor and Nairn, at full-stretch, managed to get a hand to the ball and parry it to safety.

Consett did manage to score their second of the game after 52 minutes, Smith was given time and space on the edge of the area and then the midfielder rifled home.

Adam Harvey and Mason Stephenson linked up well just after the hour mark, but the latter could only find the gloves of the keeper after beating the offside trap.

Bedlington were creating good chances, but quality and composure in the final third was lacking and Kallum McGlen could only curl over.

Harvey found Stephenson again with a brilliant through ball, but the winger could only find Jeffries gloves again after trying to find M.Walton in the box.

From a neutral point of view, Consett were certainly looking ahead to next Saturday’s FA Cup tie against Bradford Park Avenue, and it showed as they could only produce two chances all half.

The Terriers would have felt hard done by come the end of the game given the clear-cut chances they had, but there was plenty of positives to take from the match.

Bedlington now have a League Cup tie with second division Alnwick Town on Wednesday night followed by a tricky encounter with Jarrow Roofing three days later.

Consett: Jeffries, Buzzeo, Brown, Hall, McKinnon, Craggs, Slocombe, Smith, King (Sullivan 46), Mackay (Sweet 46), Eccles (McLane 74)

Subs Not Used: Hawkins, Gillespie

Terriers: Nairn, L.McGlen, Dummett, Liam Davison, Little, Pendlebury (Nellis 65), K.McGlen, Anjos (Harvey 65), M.Walton, S.Walton (Stephenson 61), McBride

13 Shots 9
8 On Target 4
5 Off Target 5
4 Shots Blocked 3
11 Fouls Conceded 5
5 Corners 0
1 Offsides 9
14 Free-Kicks 12
62% Shooting Accuracy 44%

Subs Not Used: Buzzeo, Skidmore

Referee: Stephen Dial

Rating: 8 out of 10

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s