Bedlington Terriers: Late Hudson Strike Earns Terriers Vital Win (Andrew McDonnell)

Late Hudson Strike Earns Terriers Vital Win

By Andrew McDonnell

hudson terriers

Liam Hudson’s late moment of magic completed the turnaround as Bedlington Terriers overcame Durham City to pick up just their second win of the season.

During a very scrappy opening 45 minutes, chances were few and far between, Jason Blackburn tapped in at the back post to give the visitors the lead.

Kallum McGlen grabbed the equaliser after 77 minutes, firing home from close range, and Hudson sealed the three points two minutes before the end with a top-draw strike.

Bedlington came into the game having just been beaten 2-1 by neighbours Morpeth Town during the week, but they struggled to settle early on against the Citizens.

David Berry suffered a blow to the head after Blackburn challenged for a header with the midfielder, but it wasn’t until 10 minutes in when the first chance came.

Blackburn may well have gave City the lead after Gary Shaw skipped past the challenge of Stephen Little, the strikers couldn’t seem to direct the header towards goal though.

Two minutes later, Frazer Nairn, who was making his first start in four weeks, was called upon after Callum Patton hit low, forcing the keeper to save well after the striker was allowed time to control and shoot.

During a period where Durham were on top, they came inches away from breaking the deadlock, with Patton rattling the crossbar from outside the area.

Bedlington seemed to come to life thereafter, following Patton’s strike, Adam Harvey came close with a good effort, thus after Hudson’s hold-up play.

The deadlock was finally broken after 34 minutes, Patton beat the offside trap and after skipping past Marc Dummett, he squared across the box.

Blackburn was in acres of space at the back post, and the striker had a simple tap-in from four-yards out, giving the visitors the lead in a half where chances were scarce.

The hosts may well have brought the game back level, but Berry, who left his marker, couldn’t hit the target after Lance McGlen’s pin-point cross created the chance.

Neither keeper really had much to do during the entire first-half, there was nothing between the two sides as they went in at the break.

However, both sides picked up where they left off, Blackburn and Patton both squandered their chances as 20 minutes went by without any real breakthrough.

Andy Ferrell produced his first two throws of the dice with Mason Stephenson and Marc Walton coming on for the injured Berry and Andrew McBride respectively.

The hosts seemed to have found other gears however, and despite lacking quality in the final third, it was clear to see that they had a foothold in the game.

City’s captain Ross Wilkinson found himself with time and space, after the ball fell to his feet, but the finish lacked composure as the defender panicked and sliced well wide.

Durham started to tire with 20 minutes to go, fitness started to take its toll, and the game became stretched and very open with both sides attacking one after the other.

With time running out rapidly, the Terriers needed a stroke of good fortune, and they had just that 13 minutes from time following Dummett’s in-swinging corner.

Kallum McGlen was quickest to react in the box after the ball ricocheted several times, the winger rifled the ball into the roof of the net for the equaliser.

Urgency and determination came flooding into every one of the Bedlington players, and Stephenson came very close moments after the goal, almost lobbing the keeper with a header from outside the box.

The comeback was complete two minutes before the end, Hudson picked up the ball, and after being allowed time to run, he hit the ball up and over the keeper.

Ferrell’s side had done what they hadn’t done this season, came from behind to take all three points, which elevates them up three places in the league table.

They now go into Tuesday night’s match with rock-bottom West Auckland Town with a chance to produce back-to-back wins for the first time since last October.







Terriers: Nairn, L.McGlen, Dummett, Berry (Stephenson 56), Pendlebury, Little, McBride (Marc Walton 60), Liam Davison, Hudson, Harvey (Laviers 83), K.McGlen

Subs Not Used: Nellis, Skidmore

9 Shots 7
3 On Target 4
6 Off Target 3
3 Shots Blocked 7
7 Fouls Conceded 11
2 Corners 7
3 Offsides 5
16 Free-Kicks 10
33% Shooting Accuracy 57%

Durham City: Flynn, Munro, Allan, Wilkinson, Williams, Lawrence, Shaw (Fairley 66), Haley, Blackburn (Lynch 74), Patton, Fowler

Subs Not Used: Wallace, Carr

Referee: Helen Conley

Assistants: John Matthews and Malcolm Hogarth



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s