Match Report: Terriers Suffer Third Defeat in a Row (Andrew McDonnell)

Terriers Suffer Third Defeat in a Row

By Andrew McDonnell

Terriers North Shields

Free-Kick which North Shields Took the Lead From

Bedlington Terriers suffered their third straight defeat after North Shields bagged three second-half goals to take all three points at Welfare Park.

After an opening half of very few chances, the game came to light five minutes into the second-half when Ben Richardson opened the scoring from a free-kick.

Shields doubled their advantage when Dan Wilson fired home from close range and substitute Dean Holmes added a third six minutes before the end.

The Terriers came into the game after suffering a 4-0 defeat to neighbours Ashington on Bank Holiday Monday in the Wansbeck Derby, and they were looking to bounce back.

In a lively opening start to the game, it was the visitors that came very close to taking an early advantage, Ryan Carr stung the hands of Terriers keeper Fabian Otte.

Adam Harvey came close with a set-piece shortly after before Wilson flicked on James Luccock’s dangerous cross towards goal, but the header went just wide.

Chances were few and far between for the remainder of the first-half, with both sides cancelling each other out, causing a scrappy affair in which the home side defended superbly.

Terrier’s midfielder Sam Walton almost gave the hosts the lead at the break in additional time, the finish after his brilliant solo run sailed over.

It didn’t take long however for the game to pick up in tempo, five minutes into the second-half Shields were awarded a controversial free-kick on the edge of the Terriers penalty area.

Richardson produced a moment of magic and bent the set-piece up and over the wall and into the top-corner, leaving the home keeper helpless.

Just after the hour mark, Bedlington’s player-manager was forced off with an injury after taking a serious blow to his ribs challenging for a header, which caused a delay in the game.

Youngster Mason Stephenson came on in his place, but four minutes later Graham Fenton’s men scored their second goal of the game.

The home side were missing Ferrell’s presence in the midfield and Wilson fired home from inside the six-yard area after David Pounder chested down Gary Ormston’s cross.

It was clear to see that the wind was taken out of Bedlington’s sails, but the deficit may have been reduced after 77 minutes.

Harvey picked up the ball and attacked the Shields defence, evading two challenges in the process, but the midfielder failed to hit the target.

To the crowd’s amazement, the referee all of a sudden pulled up with an injury, causing a lengthy delay in the game, which saw the official head off down the tunnel.

Shields managed to score goal number three six minutes from time, rounded off a neat counter attack, in which they put the hosts on the back foot.

Substitutes Ryan McGorrigan and Holmes linked up well, and after the former’s flick-on, the latter made no mistake with the finish, rifling past Otte in goal.

The German shot-stopper was called upon after 88 minutes when Holmes dispossessed the Terriers defender on the edge of his own area.

Otte was quick off his line, closing down the angle, in which he produced a brilliant save with his legs, seeing Holmes’ strike hit the outside of the post and wide.

S.Walton came very close in the third minute of additional time, lifting his effort over the keeper and onto the roof of the net, before Marc Dummett’s long-range effort caused the keeper little problems.

After eight minutes of injury time was played, the game was over and Bedlington ought to have felt hard done by after some controversial decision making.

They now go into Wednesday’s local derby with Morpeth Town off the back of three straight defeats, but Ferrell will be optimistic with players returning from injury in the next few weeks.

Terriers: Otte, Pendlebury, Dummett, Ferrell (Stephenson 63), Little, Stoneman, S.Walton, Buzzeo (Liam Davison 69), McBride (Laviers 82), Harvey, Hudson

Subs Not Used: Nellis, Nairn

North Shields: Bannon, Walker, Grey, Ormston, Coulson, Hughes, Luccock, Richardson, Wilson (McGorrigan 75), Pounder (Holmes 68), Carr (McKeown 57)

6 Shots 9
0 On Target 5
6 Off Target 4
3 Shots Blocked 1
9 Fouls Conceded 10
2 Corners 5
0 Offsides 3
13 Free-Kicks 9
0% Shooting Accuracy 56%

Subs Not Used: Parker, Forster

Referee: Helen Byrne

Assistants: Lee May and David Pill



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s