Match Report: Defeat sees Terriers Crash out of FA Cup (Andrew McDonnell)

Defeat Sees Terriers Crash Out of FA Cup

By Andrew McDonnell

terriers 1

Bedlington Terriers crashed out of the FA Cup as they were on the receiving end of a 4-0 defeat in their FA Cup Extra Preliminary Replay against West Auckland Town.

Anthony Hume gave the hosts the lead after 23 minutes, and an own-goal mid-way through the second-half by Marc Dummett doubled their advantage. 

Substitutes Reece Kenney and Shaun Hudson inflicted more misery in the final 15 minutes to end the Terriers’ dreams of reaching the next round.

After Saturday’s 1-1 draw at Welfare Park, Bedlington came into the game with a full squad to pick from, but it was West who began the game the better.

Bryan Stewart played an intricate reverse pass into Hume, who forced a brilliant save from Frazer Nairn after four minutes.

It was the hosts who then came close again moments later, Nairn produced another fine save to keep his side on level terms, after Hume got his shot away.

Any Ferrell’s men struggled to find a foothold in the game in the opening 10 minutes, and Stewart hit a low drive from 25-yards, keeping Nairn busy in goal.

Adam Harvey almost rounded off a good counter attack, which saw every man on the field touch the ball, but his shot deflected just wide of the post.

Michael Jameson saw his effort sail over the bar before Hume took advantage of an error and put the host’s ahead mid-way through the first-half.

Thomas Marron whipped a cross in, and after it sailed over the keeper, who came to collect, Hume was able to latch upon the deflection off the defender and tap-in for the lead.

The goal seemed to have helped Bedlington find the foothold they desired thereafter, with Marc Walton having the only chance for the rest of the half.

Five minutes before the break, the striker drew an excellent save from David Knight after his free-kick appeared to have been destined for the top-corner.

Ferrell would have been looking for a reaction in the second-half, after his side had only two opportunities in the opening half, and it was the Terriers who started the brighter.

The opening 15 minutes of the second-half saw the visitors on top, but they lacked the final ball and didn’t manage to make the most of great build-ups.

Paul Stoneman headed Harvey’s corner towards goal, drawing a quick reaction save from Knight, and a scramble followed which saw Stephen Little’s shot just cleared off the line.

Bedlington had the first throw of the dice just after the hour mark, bringing off Liam Davison for Ferrell and within a minute, the Terriers came very close yet again.

Ferrell found Kallum McGlen, whose determination to get the pass prevailed as he was able to drive forward and find Liam Hudson in some space on the edge of the box.

Hudson was then able to lose his marker and make room, before driving his shot low, but Knight was on hand to just get a hand to the shot to parry it behind.

Completely against the run of play, West doubled their advantage in the game, Hume drilled a low cross across the six-yard box and Marc Dummett unfortunately hit the ball into his own goal.

The second throw of the Terriers dice saw Mason Stephenson come on for Keelan Nellis in an attacking change, but West almost found their third after Hume beat the offside trap.

Andy Campbell’s men did find their third of the contest after 75 minutes, Kenney’s in-swinging corner evaded everyone and bounced into the goal.

Walton was forced off with 10 minutes to go with, what looked like, a serious injury, leaving the visitors down to ten men, and West looked for more goals.

Nairn denied Stewart twice in quick succession, saving the original shot down low and then reacting quickly to get a hand to the striker’s follow-up for a corner.

West capped off their win with a fourth four minutes from time, Dickinson found Hudson with a pass across the box, with the latter making no mistake with the finish.

The defeat sees Bedlington fall at the first hurdle in their return to the competition after a three year absence, and they now face title-favourites Shildon at the weekend at Dean Street.

West Auckland: Knight, Crossen, Bell, Proctor, Marron, Seaton, Hodgson (Kenney 46), Gardner (Hudson 54), Hume (Dickinson 73), Stewart, Jameson

Subs Not Used: Bligh, Bath, Stockburn, Moss

Terriers: Nairn, Nellis (Stephenson 71), Dummett, Liam Davison (Ferrell 62), Little (Gourley 77), Stoneman, K.McGlen, Pendlebury, Walton, Hudson, Harvey

Subs Not Used: McBride, L.McGlen

12 Shots 8
7 On Target 7
10 Fouls 8
7 Corners 6
8 Offsides 2
10 Free-kicks 18
58% Shooting Accuracy 88%

Referee: Stephen Dial

Assistants: Matthew East and Owen Easton



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s