Match Report: Marske United – Seaham Red Star (Mark Hathaway)

Marske United 3 Seaham Red Star 1

With manager Carl Jarrett on holiday, assistant manager Nathan Haslam took charge of Marske’s FA Cup replay with Seaham and made four changes to the starting line-up. Tom Bott was unavailable, Craig Ruddy was working, Matthew Osmond was injured and Chris Emms dropped to the bench. Into the team came Ross Colquhoun, Glen Butterworth, Dan Riley and Reece Kelly as Marske adopted a 4-2-3-1 formation. Seaham named an unchanged team from Saturday’s draw.

Marske started the game on the front foot, in difficult conditions following all day rain. The first chance fell to skipper Gott on 2 minutes but his dipping shot from the edge of the box went just over the bar. On 4 minutes, Marske had a golden opportunity to take the lead when a weak defensive header from Seaham allowed Liam O’Sullivan and Kelly to exchange passes and set up the returning Butterworth who didn’t quite hit his shot sweetly enough and Newbrook saved with his legs. On 11 minutes, Robert Dean made a great save from Robbie Bird after Seaham’s danger man raced past Josh Myers and cut in from the left; the Marske stopper then made an even better save when the rebound fell to the feet of Paul Gardiner. As the first half reached the midway point it was Marske who took the lead when Gott’s intricate through ball sent Owens into the box and the striker showed a sublime piece of skill to dribble in between two defenders and hammer a shot past Newbrook. On 26 minutes Liam O’Sullivan ran from his own half and set up Kelly but the winger fluffed his lines and couldn’t get a proper shot away. Marske were dominating and the next chance fell to Riley who picked up an Owens pass and as the Red Star defence stood off he let fly from the edge of the box but Newbrook saved with his legs. Dean had to be on his guard and saved well from Bird on 31 minutes after the winger had been set up by Liam McBryde. Momens later ex-Marske man Ricky Fenwick stupidly pushed Sam Garvie to the ground just inside the box and referee Darren Whatling had no hesitation in awarding the home side a penalty. Up stepped the reliable Gott and he sent Newbrook the wrong way from the penalty spot. Seaham tried to get back into the game but Bird shot wide when he had men over in a better position before superb interplay between Kelly and Butterworth set up Owens but he shot wide. As half time approached a shot from Riley was deflected wide for a corner following a lung bursting run from O’Sullivan and from the corner Gott played the ball back to Riley who crossed from the right but Owens headed just wide. In the first minute of injury time an excellent advantage from referee Whatling following a Wheatley foul on Bird saw a fierce shot from Gardiner from the edge of the box superbly tipped round the post by Dean.

Half Time: Marske 2 Seaham Red Star 0

Seaham made a change at half time with Fenwick replaced by Davidson. The first chance of the half fell to Owens from a Riley pass but Newbrook saved well. After a period of play predominantly in midfield it was Owens who created the next chance for himself, easily beating Carl Thorp but Newbrook saved well. On 66 minutes, Marske made their first change with Kelly, who had been injured moments earlier, replaced by Nathan Mulligan. On 67 minutes, Marske had a shout for a penalty when it looked like Owens was fouled from behind but the referee was unmoved. At the other end Dean did well to save from Thorp who broke the challenge of Myers before Marske made their second change on 68 minutes with Emms replacing Riley. Gardiner shot wide for Seaham after doing well to create space as the Wearsiders looked for a way back into the game. With 20 minutes left, Marske made their final change when Owens, who had been injured in the penalty appeal earlier, was replaced by Brunskill. With the rain continuing to fall, conditions became even more difficult and Garvie was booked for a foul on Bird before Thorp was booked for a cynical block on Mulligan who had pushed the ball passed him. Brunskill swept a shot wide from a Garvie cross before a free kick from Gott from 30 yards was easily saved by Newbrook. With 8 minutes remaining Marske made the game safe when a long throw down the line from O’Sullivan was headed into the path of Gott by Brunskill and the Marske skipper showed great skill and composure to lob the ball over the head of the stranded Newbrook. With 2 minutes remaining Bird got a consolation for Seaham that his performance deserved picking up a pass and cutting in from the left before firing past Dean. In injury time a thunderbolt from Butterworth was palmed away by the keeper and out to Garvie who shot over the bar. In injury time Dean saved from first Reay and then Andrews as Marske progressed to the next round where Lancaster City are the visitors to the GER stadium.

Full Time: Marske 3 Seaham Red Star 1


Marske: Dean, Myers, O’Sullivan, Butterworth, Colquhoun, Wheatley, Garvie, Gott, Riley (Emms), Owens (Brunskill), Kelly (Mulligan)

Subs (not used): Hood, Grier, Briggs

Seaham: Newbrook, Reay, Fenwick (Davidson), Gardiner, Thorp, Scorer, Kane, Kerr, Andrews, McBryde, Bird

Subs (not used): Donnelly, MacGregor, Bolam, Galbraith


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s