Seaham Red Star 2 – 3 Heaton Stannington (Kev Carling)

Seaham Red Star 2-3 Heaton Stannington

Saturday 1 August 2015


About six of the Stan Army, including Harry the Dog, travelled to the Knackfield, nick- named after a nearby pit which was called The Knack. There was a first friendly appearance for last year’s player of the season, Lewis Burns. 


The Stan kicked off playing into a slight westerly wind, taking the game to Seaham, who had a strong team out. After 11 minutes, Deagle took a free kick from 25 yards which the keeper comfortably saved. Rule then made an easy save a minute later. In the 16th minute, the Stan failed to clear a Seaham corner and a miss-hit shot was turned into the net to make it 1-0 to the home side. Four minutes later, and the Stan gave away a poor free kick. It was quickly taken and a neat one two saw Seaham’s number 7 tuck the ball home to make it 2-0. Two minutes later and the Stan were back in the game when a clumsy challenge by a home defender resulted in a penalty. Wright rifled the ball into the right hand corner. The keeper had no chance and this nice penalty made it 2-1. After a further 2 minutes there was another goal when Wright, on the end of a long ball, turned a defender beautifully and fired a left foot shot across the keeper which went in off the post. In the 26th minute, the Stan robbed Seaham’s number 3 and Burns made a strong run on goal but his shot was always rising and cleared the bar. Seaham did have a chance on the half hour but Rule made an easy save. Grieveson was sent through on 38 minutes but the home keeper made a good save. A minute before half time, and Wright made a good solo run but could not direct his shot on target. It was a very eventful first half with plenty of chances for both sides.

At half time, Dodsworth, Yates and Scott replaced Grieveson, Burns and Bailey. Seven minutes into the half and a back pass by the Stan followed by poor judgement by Rule nearly resulted in Seaham retaking the lead. Three minutes later there was good work by Dodsworth who won the ball but his shot was always going over the bar. In the 57th minute, a Stan mistake led to a Seaham chance which Rule saved well but the ball fell to a home player. A great tackle by Morrison though prevented a certain goal. Seven minutes later and there was another fine save by Rule when a Seaham forward was through on goal. In the 69th minute, hesitation by the Seaham defence and good work by himself, allowed Wright to win the ball and slot it home for his hat-trick. With a 3-2 lead, the Stan made some re-substitutions but it was Seaham who then put the pressure on. A minute later and a great save by Rule, diving full stretch to his right to palm the ball over, denied Seaham an equaliser. In the 79th minute, Rule again saved the Stan with another fine save, this time to his left. Three minutes later and he made his third good save within 12 minutes this time with his feet. Seven minutes to go and Seaham had the ball in the net but the linesman put his flag up for offside and the match ended 3-2 to the Stan. A good competitive friendly, a great come back from the Stan and a hat-trick from the Terminator. What a way to end the pre-season!

Stan Team: Rule; Stoddart; Morrison; Wear; Quine; Imray; Burns; Bailey; Wright; Grieveson; Deagle.

Subs (all used): Yates; Scott; Dodsworth; Rowntree.


Kev Carling



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s