Bedlington Terriers: Late Walton Brace Fires Terriers to Victory (Andrew McDonnell)

Late Walton Brace Fires Terriers to Victory

By Andrew McDonnell


Despite only playing the final 20 minutes, Marc Walton bagged a second-half brace to lead Bedlington Terriers to victory over a stubborn Shankhouse side at Action Park.

Andy McBride opened his goal-scoring account as he cancelled out Richard Ward’s early penalty with a brilliant strike of his own just after 30 minutes.

The Terriers made a triple substitution after the hour to bring a bit more pace up front, and it payed dividend, Walton struck twice within five minutes to take the plaudits.

After their goalless draw against Team Northumbria, Andy Ferrell’s men were looking to get back to winning ways and they certainly started the better.

Settling into the game from the off, Bedington looked to dominate in the midfield area, Mason Stephenson may well have opened the scoring after 7 minutes with a long-range effort.

Danquah’s low-cross caused concerns for the back four, but Spooner failed to hit the target with his effort at the back-post, not getting the connection he desired.

Against the run of play, the hosts broke and found themselves with a penalty after Frazer Nairn came out and miss-timed his punch clear and fouled the man.

R.Ward made no mistake with the penalty, sending the keeper the wrong way after 15 minutes, for a surprise lead in the game.

Bedlington were showing signs of great play, neat interwork between the midfield and the forwards, and Kallum McGlen shot wide after finding time near the edge of the penalty area.

However, the Terriers replied just after the half-hour mark when Stephenson flicked on Marc Dummett’s floated ball to new-signing Andy McBride.

The forward latched upon the header and drove at goal, and after opening his body up, he slotted the ball calmly past the keeper for the equaliser.

Spooner found himself with another brilliant opportunity, but once again his shooting was to be desired, the winger raced past Keelan Nellis, but shot wide of the goal.

It was a fairly even game, with the visitors having the better of the chances, and Adam Harvey almost sent them into the break ahead with a bullet which almost found the top-corner.

After going in level at the break, Shankhouse may well have took the lead for the second time in the game, Kirkup’s curling effort just evaded the far post and went wide, causing concern for Nairn.

Stephenson and Stephen Little, who was making his first appearance after his injury, both failed to take their chances, with the former’s dink over the approaching keeper bobbling inches wide.

McBride came close to turning provider for Stephenson with a neat return ball, however, Henderson produced yet another superb save to deny the youngster.

Ferrell decided to make a triple substitution after 63 minutes, bringing Liam Hudson, Marc Walton and Dan Staples on for McBride, Stephen Buzzeo and Nairn respectively.

Bedlington finally managed to take the lead 15 minutes later, Hudson drove at the defence and managed to find his strike-partner on the edge of the box.

Walton turned and fired home into the bottom-corner to put the visitors ahead for the first time on the night.

Spooner was using his pace to his advantage, but like his earlier attempts in the first-half, he missed the target by some distance.

Ferrell came on for the final 10 minutes, and bagged an assist after 90 seconds, finding Walton, who fooled the keeper and tapped home for his second in five minutes.

The strikers brace handed the win to Bedlington, who now face two games within a 24 hour period beginning on Friday with a trip to Northern League second-division side Whickham.

Shankhouse: Henderson, R.Ward, Walmsley, Forman, P.Ward (Sub One 31), Danquah (Sub Three 69), Rainer, Westerfal (Sub Two 55), Spooner, Kirkup, Middleton

8 Shots 13
2 On Target 8
7 Fouls 7
0 Corners 5
0 Offsides 3
10 Free-Kicks 7
25% Shooting Accuracy 62%

Terriers: Nairn (Staples 63), L.McGlen (Skidmore 67), Dummett (Ferrell 80), Liam Davison, Nellis, Little (Pendlebury 67), K.McGlen (Laviers (T) 46), Buzzeo (Hudson 63), McBride (Walton 63), Harvey, Stephenson

Referee: Stuart Kyle

Assistants: Steven Liddle and Chris Seach



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s