Terriers Held to Goalless Draw at Coach Lane ( Andrew McDonnell )

 Terriers Held to Goalless Draw at Coach Lane

By Andrew McDonnell

The Terriers

The Terriers


Bedlington Terriers managed to record their first clean-sheet of pre-season, to manager Andy Ferrell’s delight, against a strong Team Northumbria side at Coach Lane.

A fairly even game of football was played out in the opening 45 minutes, both sides countered each other’s tactics with little chances of note.

The hosts then made eight substitutions at the break and the Terriers were, by far, the better side in the second period, and may well have nicked it at the death through Marc Walton.

Bedlington were looking to bounce back rather quickly following their heavy defeat to neighbours AFC Newbiggin just two days before.

Despite both sides looking to get the ball down and play, they countered each other out and provided a fairly level game for the opening 20 minutes.

The visitors were having a lot of possession, but their style of play changed from previous games as they looked to be more conservative.

North had a few chances to break the deadlock at the back end of the half, and the Terriers almost rounded off a couple of counter attacks, however, it was goalless at the break.

As expected, the changes rolled in, eight for the home side, and surprisingly not a single one for the visitors, and the change in the game was evident.

Bedlington found themselves on top all of the second-half, restricting the hosts to two half-chances and one counter attack that almost lead to a goal.

Just after the hour mark, Dan Staples produced a brilliant one-on-one stop to keep his side in the game, the keeper made himself big and the striker was denied.

Unlike the first-half, the Terriers did manage to create goal-threatening chances and Marc Walton was lively and put a couple of shots just wide of the goal.

As a team, Bedlington looked the strongest, showing good togetherness and resilience as they grew into the game and looked more and more dangerous as time progressed.

With ten minutes, remaining, Walton had a free-kick on the edge of the box, but Steven Mundy produced a one-handed stop to parry the strikers curling effort away.

The game concluded without either side managing to register on the scoresheet, and the Terriers now face the task of three games in four days starting with Shankhouse on Wednesday night.

Team Northumbria: Mundy, Cristea (Tumilty 46), Green (Read 46), McKeown (Lowery 46), Murdock, Luke (Redford 46), Storey, Spence (McNamara 46), Dormand, Bradley (O’Reilly 46), Hammant (Perez 46)

Terriers: Staples (Nairn 65), Pendlebury (Gourley (T) 67), Skidmore, Davison, Nellis, Stoneman, McBride (Stephenson 60), Buzzeo, Walton, Ferrell, Hudson (Laviers (T) 75)

Referee: Ian Freeloader

Assistants: Johnny Gray and James Scott

No Stats Available


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s