Match Report: Warrington – Darlington (Ray Simpson)


Play offs again as Quakers held at Warrington

Warrington 1 Darlington 1.

Darlington will focus on a play off semi final against Spennymoor after they could only draw 1-1 at Cantilever Park tonight.

Just like Saturday at Lancaster, Quakers created plenty of chances, but couldn’t convert them, and now Moors will visit Heritage Park next week. The date will be confirmed in due course, but it will probably be Wednesday.

And it’s Salford who are celebrating as they are now crowned champions.

Warrington had the first chance of the game when Ben Wharton got through, but Peter Jameson came out of his area and cleared.

But Quakers nearly took the lead with an overhead kick by Graeme Armstrong that was saved by Warrington keeper Adam Reid, and Armstrong had another opportunity from am Adam Mitchell corner, but he headed agonisingly wide.

Darlington skipper Gary Brown then popped up inside his own six yard box and manager to divert Chris Gahgan’s shot for a corner.

However, Warrington took the lead after 18 minutes when Alan White was adjudged to have handled a header at point blank range in the area and was booked for his protests. Scott Metcalfe blasted the ball past Jameson and gave Warrington the lead.

Quakers nearly levelled when terry Galbraith swung over a corner, and Armstrong outjumped keeper Reid, but he put the ball over.

Quakers deservedly levelled six minutes before half time. Terry Galbraith had a shot deflected away for a corner which he took. The ball was cleared back out to him via Leon Scott, and he crossed in perfectly for Gary Brown to score at the far post.

It was nearly 2-1 before half time, with a well hit free kick by Adam Mitchell that glanced off the top of the crossbar.

Three minutes after half time, Warrington nearly regained the lead with a long range shot by Metcalfe that was well saved by Jameson.

But Quakers responded with a break by Stephen Thompson who pulled the ball back for David Dowson, but the keeper scrambled the ball away.

Quakers went close again, when Galbraith curled a free kick over perfectly for White to head against the post.

And on 62 minutes, Tom Portas hit a long range effort that Reid just managed to push away.

Armstrong was unlucky with another header that went just wide as Quakers built up the pressure.

Again Brown popped up on the line on 72 minutes, this time blocking a Wharton shot on his chest.

Quakers soon returned to the attack, and sub Nelson Mota crossed for Dowson to put wide.

Warrington nearly got the winner with a free kick by Nathan Burke that came back off the post.

Quakers threw everyone forward apart from Jameson in the closing minutes but they couldn’t break through.



Jameson; A Mitchell, White, Brown, Watson (sub Mota); Thompson (sub Cartman), Scott, Portas, Galbraith; Dowson, Armstrong.


Subs not used: Bell, Weldon, Hunter


Bookings: White, Mitchell, Scott


Attendance 338.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s