Match Report: Northallerton Town – Heaton Stannington (Kevin Mochrie)

Northallerton Town 0-1 Heaton Stannington

Having beaten Northallerton in the reverse fixture earlier in the season, a slightly depleted Stan squad made the long journey south for this mid-week encounter. There was one change from Saturday’s match with Adrian Watson receiving his first start. The first twenty minutes of the game were pretty much even, with the only clear cut chance coming from Northallerton’s Butterworth which Rule got down to save easily. Minutes later Stoddart broke up another home attack and threaded the ball through to Walton but his effort was hit far too high. A second attack saw Stoddart again getting clear down the right but his accurate cross into the box came to nothing when the referee blew for an infringement. A mistake by Deagle allowed the home side’s centre forward Anderson to get in a shot but this effort was blocked by skipper Wear. A  Wear, Deagle and Burns move opened up the home defence but the keeper safely dealt with the threat. The home keeper was called on again minutes later when he had to deal with a through ball from Burns just before it reached intended target Yates. The last attack of the half came when a corner kick, taken by Ramsbottom, was headed over the Stan bar by Tunstall which ensured the first period remained goal less. 


The Stan started the second half much the better of the two teams and could have went ahead when Walton was played through, but with just the keeper to beat he placed his shot wide of the goal. Minutes later an overhead kick from Yates caught the keeper out but defender Elgie was on hand to clear. Heaton were not to be denied however and were rewarded when Adrian Watson chased after and controlled a through ball then showed great composure to place it past the advancing Calvert. Seconds later Telford tried a shot from distance in an effort to increase his side’s lead but failed to hit the target. The home side’s most dangerous period of the second half came ten minutes from the end when they were awarded two free kicks, in as many minutes, just outside the penalty area. The first one was well saved by Rule and the second scrambled away from the goal line by a determined Heaton rearguard in which skipper Joe Wear and Jordan Ray were dominant. This helped ensure that the Stan unbeaten run now stretches to nine matches.


Stan Team: Rule; Stoddart; Deagle; Ray; Wear; Bailey; Telford; Walton; Yates (Hoggins); Watson; Burns (Carr). Subs Unused: Cairns; Weeks.


       Ken Rodger


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s