Match Report: Bedlington Terriers – Bishop Auckland (Andrew McDonnell)

Second-Half Collapse Costs Terriers

By Andrew McDonnell

A second-half collapse from the Terriers allowed Bishop Auckland to turn the game around and take all three points at Welfare Park.

Bedlington took the lead in the game through Lee Scott and may well have gone in at the break with one or two more if Liam Davison’s and Jordan Nellis’ efforts found the net.

The visitors found their way back into the game when Stuart Thompson scored the equaliser after the hour mark, and they completed the turnaround when Jordan Lavery rounded off a counter-attack with ten minutes to play. 

After last week’s 6-3 defeat to Consett, the Terriers came into the game knowing that they must come back with a statement of intent against a strong Bishop Auckland outfit.

It was the home side who started the better, with an early chance falling J.Nellis’ way after he weaved in and out of several challenges, but his shot was easily saved from Bishop’s keeper.

The positive start was nearly in vain when Ollie Hotchkiss’ scuffed shot turned into a neat through ball to Glen Lane, his shot flew past Luc Glasper and cannoned off the far post.

It was a wakeup call that the Terriers needed and thereafter they took a foothold in the game, controlling possession in midfield and free-flowing in attack.

Davison latched onto a clever through ball, but he squandered on the ball, which gave Scott Pocklington time to close the angle, and his shot was saved.

The deadlock was broken in the 24 minute, Davison turned provider for Scott, his curling effort found the top corner and Pocklington just watched it sail past helplessly.

J.Nellis almost got himself on the score sheet just five minutes later, again he skipped past several challenges effortlessly, but just like his first effort, his effort was half saved and then cleared by the defender on the line.

Andy Ferrell, who was making his full debut for the Terriers for the second time, showed the 58 people in attendance his class and took control of the midfield area.

Bedlington saw out the half with little resilience from Bishop’s, taking a one-nil lead in at the break, but will feel disappointed not to have taken a bigger lead in with them, but pleased because of the improvement from last week.

The Terriers started the second-half as they finished the first, attacking minded and not letting their opponent’s take a foot hold in the game.

J.Nellis had his effort saved just 30 seconds in, and Andy Ferrell attempted an audacious lob, when he saw Pocklington out of his goal, the keeper managed to get back in time to save.

The bright start to the half from Bedlington was soon countered as the Two Blues managed to get a real foothold in the game, for the first time of the afternoon.

Their first real chance to speak of came in the 62 minute when Thompson saw his effort deflected just wide of the post after Bishop’s midfielder latched upon a loose pass.

The visitors drew level moments later when Thompson again was played through, and after cutting back onto his right, and curled the ball round the keeper and into the far corner.

The momentum certainly swung in Bishop’s favour, and it was clear that the goal affected Bedlington’s way of playing as they weren’t pressing forward as much because of tiredness.

An error from Keelan Nellis almost cost his side the game completely when he was dispossessed on the edge of his own area, Glen Lane, who scored in the reverse fixture earlier on in the season, curled his effort inches wide of the post.

The home side’s first chance after Bishop’s equaliser came when J.Nellis managed to dig out a cross form a lost cause, the looping ball found the head of brother K.Nellis, but Pocklington managed to somehow save the effort with his leg.

The visitors’ comeback was complete in the 81 minute, a counter-attack which started deep in their own half was rounded off by substitute Lavery, who made no mistake and rifled his effort past the helpless goalkeeper.

Gary Innes brought on Stephen Young after the goal went in, but it appeared to be too late as tiredness started to creep up on the players when Bishop’s first goal went in.

Bedlington created one final chance in the game, in the first minute of additional time, Adam Harvey’s long throw was headed by K.Nellis, but just like the other efforts in the game, it was well saved by an in-form Pocklington.

Manager Innes was hoping to remain “unbeaten at home” for the final four home games of the season, and the setback keeps Bedlington in 16th place in the EBAC Northern League Division One.

Bedlington: Glasper, Harvey, Walmsley, Watson, Little, K.Nellis, Davison (Calvert 89), Ferrell, Scott, J.Nellis, Thompson (Young 81) Subs Not Used: Donohoe, McGorrigan, Innes

Bookings: J.Nellis

Bishop Auckland: Pocklington, Galloway, Cocks, Woods (Mogwo 66), Irving, Hotchkiss (Mitchell 18), Sakr (Lavery 43), Thompson, Davis, Johnson, Lane Subs Not Used: Jobling, Day

Bookings: Mitchell, Woo



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s